Tuesday 26 June 2007

Valedictorian Speech 2007

My grade 8 graduation will begin in just 3 hours!! And I will be spotlighted as valedictorian. And I'm doing another musical performance with my friend David at the end of the ceremony. It's going to be a hell lot of fun. I thought somebody might be interested, so here is a transcript of my valedictorian speech:

VALEDICTORIAN SPEECH 2007
By: Danny Zhang

Hello, parents, school staff, the administration and honoured graduates. It is here and right now that we deboard the train of elementary school. (Pause) We will cross the platform and soon depart on the High School express. (Smile) I am humbled and so honoured by this opportunity to speak at graduation as valedictorian! I see this ceremony not only as a celebration but an event to savour all the good stuff and lasting memories we’ve seen together. (Hand motions) Graduates, doesn’t it seem that a short while ago, you were sitting at your Grade 5 graduation? Can you believe it? We’ve witnessed, at this school, (Hand motions) 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007, three tremendous years full of endless adventures, all kinds of fun, many new steps toward maturity and a whole lot of new knowledge.

I know I’ve been though a lot here. (Hand motions) Ohhh…there was WAPE Day in Grade 6, Mono Cliffs in Grade 7, then the awesome Quebec City trip later that year, (Using one breath, hand mtions) band trips to Wonderland, being part of student council, school dances, talent shows, playing with the band in school concerts, the science fairs, spelling bees and intramural ball hockey. Working on the yearbook was a thrill as well, not to mention that a mere two weeks ago, about 70 of us had a whale of a time in our Nation’s Capital, on the fantastic graduation trip to Ottawa. I’m sure everyone has their own personal memories beyond those extra-curriculars ranging from earning the Honour Roll recognition to the bloopers in gym class to what else? Just havin’ fun with your friends!

My favourite memory though has to be the Brass Ensemble which I was a part of this year along with 10 other very talented musicians. We played beautiful music and had the greatest laughs together. Every Friday, I always eagerly looked forward to our rehearsal because it really was a special and fun group. We won a silver medal at the Kiwanis Music Festival and then had our well-deserved time of glory playing in the TDSB concert at George Weston Hall in the Toronto Centre for the Arts. It took a lot hard work, alright, (Hand motions) but we were all committed. And I want to give a big thank you to Mr. Karpenko who has made the music program here very illustrious. The good times I had with Brass Ensemble is truly something I will forever cherish. How ‘bout it brass? Let’s have a reunion sometime in the future!

And what’s a valedictorian’s speech without shout-outs and more thank you’s? So I think all of us should give a warm applause for Ms. Brown, Ms. Campbell, Ms. Zangolli, Ms. K and Ms. Gill, (Hand motions) who are undoubtedly the backbone of our school. (Applause) Also, every hard working teacher here who put dedicated work into the good cause of education. To name a few who have made a difference in my life: Mr. Robinson, Ms. Meszsesan, Ms. D’Silva, Ms. Belizaire, Ms. Rosen, Ms. Donkena, Ms. Matas, Mr. Fong, Ms. Magowan, Mr. Kocicka and Ms. Zapior. Then, there are the custodians who maintain our sometimes messy school. And also the courteous support staff who are reliable for help whenever you need it. Thank you all so much. Let’s give them a well-deserved ovation! (Applause) It is because of your great work that I’m able to say: (Hand motions) Donview, what a school!

And finally, shout-out to all of the graduates. (Hand motions) We have made it! In a short two months time, we’ll once again embark on a mission but this time we’ll be on different trains headed to all directions. I may never see many of you again, but you can bet (Slight pointing) I’ll never forget you! The “Donview Era” of our lives is about to end and it has been an unforgettable one! We have grown up so much here at this school and achieved a bundle of goals. (Slowly) It is with great pride tonight that we step out the doors and embrace the ups and downs of the next 4 tumultuous years. (Pause, then expressively) It’s a heck of a challenge! Remember, inspiration is everywhere, follow your dreams and express passion in your lives! Don’t be afraid to take chances, be positive, be a good friend and have fun! And lastly, I wish you have a fabulous summer and the best of luck in all your future endeavours… (Point) but don’t forget me! (Wink)

Thank you all, keep your knees loose and so long! (Wave)

-Danny

11 comments:

  1. That is quite brilliant! I would never expect something so grand of an eighth grader!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much. The speech was well received :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. did you actually wink?

    ReplyDelete
  4. you have a typo at the starting of the secound paragragh

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea, I kind of winked, more like pointing at the crowd. Yea, I noticed haha..hand MOTIONS.

    ReplyDelete
  6. IT WAS KIND OF GOOD, BUT HOW LONG DOES IT HAVE TO BE

    ReplyDelete