Sunday 30 March 2008

BASEBALL IS BACK!

The 2008 baseball season is...officially underway!

As I blog right now, the hopeful Atlanta Braves and the newly-addressed Washington Nationals are duking out the first game of the 2008 MLB Season.

You know, I think there are a whole lot of people on this continent and around this world who can't be happier baseball is back in their lives. For one, I am ecstatic and curious to watch my Jays challenge for a pennant. This is a turning year for the sport, the league and the fans. We march into this season without Bonds, Sosa or Clemens on any of the rosters. Instead, it will be the Howards, Hollidays, Peavys and Santanas of the world that will lead a field of young stars in pursuit of October glory.

There are high hopes for the Jays and other teams alike. It is so good hear Chris Berman and Joe Morgan back on the air, even though I've never been a fan of theirs. It is so good to see the patriotism in fans as they put their hand over their chest during the Star Spangled Banner, even though I am not an American. It is so good wear my baseball caps again without getting weird looks from bypassers even though the temperature is still around the freezing mark here in Toronto. This is what the baseball season brings and I'll be sure to enjoy it for the next 6 months!

It's still too darn chilly for baseball up here in Canada, but my itch to hold a bat will augment like crazy as the major leaguers begin play. I am anticipating another good summer (sometime spring and fall) of nostalgic memories on the sandlot and hey, you never know what could happen on the diamond (especially summer love). Even more, I plan on inquiring about a position to be scorekeeper for my high school's baseball team. Overall, life's much brighter with baseball back in the air!

It's been one quick offseason, I mean, it really didn't feel like a long, dragging winter at all. But the best thing is that baseball is back, alive and well!

Go Jays!

-D

No comments:

Post a Comment