Friday 1 January 2010

New Year's Thoughts

HAPPY NEW YEAR'S EVERBODY!!!!

Here's a little something I wrote a couple days ago, thought you might be interested:

So tomorrow is another New Year's Eve and the world will once again march into a new decade. That means that we've now finally lived a FULL AND COMPLETE decade on this planet. And boy am I living a different life than when this one began.

I was not even 7 years old at the time and it's pretty hard to believe I'll be turning 17 in a couple of months. A lot has happened in the world this decade and I think you've probably watched enough flashbacks on TV in the past week. Right now, as I usually do at the end of a year, I find myself a little sentimental about the time, the events, and the people that have gone by, but this year, I feel sentimental (and proud) more so for how much I've grown and matured in the past 10 years.

There have just been so many changes in my life since 2000. I could write all night about those. But I find it fascinating to think about how those changes have shaped me and will continue to shape me. It's amazing the different people I've met that have helped in that process. One of the things that has shaped me and changed me the most is all the friends that I have. I am inspired by them every single day and they make me see the world in a completely new way. I am grateful they have supported me throughout 2009 and I can say I love all of them like family.

It's scary to think that 10 years from now, I will be 26 turning 27. Wow. I mean, I'm having so much fun right now I really can't imagine living in a different environment. I have the best family and friends in the world. I love going to school and doing all that I do there. But in 10 years, I will be expected to have a university degree, a job, and perhaps a home of my own. I don't know about you, but that's pretty daunting.

On the other hand though, I do have a lot of dreams and aspirations for the coming decade. There's a ton of things I'm definitely looking forward to, but again, I love my life so much now I think it might be hard to move on. But anyhow, now is now; later is later. I will just be grateful for all that I have and be optimistic about the future with the help of my dreams.

I've generally been not too bad in terms of New Year's resolutions. For 2010, I'd like to finish a few things I didn't get a chance to finish this year and just to make the most of everyday. I know that sounds so cliché but I do feel excited to get out of bed every morning. What more can I ask for?

If there is one thing different about this New Year's Eve, it's that I don't feel very excited about it. I don't think that's because New Year's is in any way less significant for me, I just think it's because now, I've begun to cherish every other day of the year a lot more.

-D

No comments:

Post a Comment