Sunday 5 September 2010

Tennis Tennis

I've been playing a lot of tennis. I've been watching a lot of tennis. It's all tennis tennis tennis!

We're through the first week here at the US Open and it's been a wild one at that. I don't think I've ever seen so many bagels at a Grand Slam tournament. It seems like everyday, especially on the women's side, somebody is winning 6-0, 6-1. For God's sake, Caroline Wozniacki has only dropped 3 games and she's already into the 4th round!!

My hometown girl Li Na lost in the first round in New York. That was rather disappointing. But still, it's amazing how she is in the Top 10. I can tell you, Chinese sports fans are very proud of her and Zheng Jie.

Venus Williams and Kim Clijsters slammed their way through to the women's quarterfinals earlier today. Rafael Nadal beat Gilles Simon in straight sets on Ashe. Fernando Verdasco looked good today, beating David Nalbandian in straight sets. Sam Querrey also went through to the Round of 16 in straight sets. Andy Murray's in a battle against Stanislas Wawrinka right now, 7-6, 6-7, 1-2, on serve in the third.

My pick for the final, Tomas Berdych, lost in the first round. I think Murray might have a good chance of making it to the final. Though I do admit Nadal's playing really well right now, I still think he's just too worn out from the year with his intense style of play. The Americans keep on saying Mardy Fish or Sam Querrey could have a breakout major here in NYC. I think they need to improve on aspects of their game other than their serve before they can break into the Top 10. What do you think?

-D

No comments:

Post a Comment