Monday 22 September 2008

Good Bye Yankee Stadium!


Can you believe I rooted for the New York Yankees yesterday?? And usually, I never want to hear Jon Miller and Joe Morgan on a Sunday night, but yesterday was a "once-in-85-year" moment so I naturally had to watch.

There is really only one thing I can say about Yankee Stadium-I AM SO GLAD I GOT TO VISIT IT EARLIER THIS SUMMER!

But I was so disappointed that the tour tickets that day were sold out. I couldn't try to explain to explain how bad I felt when we couldn't get tickets. I'm not a Yankees fan at all, though I rooted for them last night, but that stadium belongs to all baseball fans. It's exactly what people nickname it-the Cathedral of Baseball. Yankee Stadium has a certain grandeur and charm that no other stadium has and I'm happy to have at least had a chance to walk around the perimeter.

What a way to close it out too. The pre-game ceremony was absolutely amazing, Andy Pettitte pitched a decent game and Mariano Rivera closed the book on the storied arena. However, did Jose Molina, of all people, have to hit that last historic home run?? I mean, Jose Molina?? Johnny Damon would've been a better candidate. With all due respect, it was an important home run, but I guess not everything can be perfect.

I'll sure miss the place. I would've loved to have watched a game there, to have had the Yankee Stadium experience. What's mind-boggling is that they managed to draw in 4 000 000 fans for the 4th straight season, even though mediocrity was the keyword of this 08 season for NYY. That's the definition of a true baseball city and to NYC, this is like losing a part of their soul. I don't agree with Derek Jeter when he says: "We've got the greatest fans in the world." but the passion of these Yankee fans can't be undermined. They love baseball. They love the House that Ruth Built.

And to think, all the history that have taken place there, all the popes, singers, boxers, football players, and finally, the great baseball players who have come and gone through that stadium for the past 85 years. It truly is magnificent. If you've never been there, definitely go and see Yankee Stadium before the wrecking ball dawns on the Bronx. It's worth it, trust me!

Thank you, Yankee Stadium for such wonderful moments!

-D

No comments:

Post a Comment