Friday 3 October 2008

Don't Worry...I'm Still Here!

It's been 11 days since I last posted...

Long time, I know. I've just been insanely busy with everything related to school and extra curriculars. It's really good for time management and they're mostly things I love to do. So, no harm, no foul. Life is good.

A lot has happened in the world of baseball since I bid adieu to Yankee Stadium in my last post. The Angels, Red Sox, Tampa, Dodgers, Phillies and Cubs all clinched a spot for October play. The Brewers and Mets went into the last Sunday of the season tied atop the NL Wild Card. Brewers won, so not only did we see the Mets freefall for a second straight year. We witnessed the last ever game at Shea Stadium. Again, having been there earlier this summer, I can somewhat relate to this event instead of pretending to be sad.

The White Sox had to make up a postponed game against Detroit because they were within 0.5 games of Minny. They won that and ensued with another victory over the Twins to reach the playoffs. And since the only playoff club whose gear I own, I will be rooting for the ChiSox. You know what I'd love to see?! A Windy City World Series!!

So, then, the MLB playoffs ACTUALLY started this week! After some 5 months and 162 games, it's all come down to this. Right now, it's not looking good for the Cubbies, who last won it all exactly a century ago. They're down 0-2 in the series to Joe Torre and his crew. The other 2-0 lead belongs to the Phillies who are in position to sweep the Brewers. The Red Sox have a 1-0 lead on the Halos while Tampa leads the other Sox by 1 game as well.

It should be a fun matchup tonight-Buerhle vs. Kazmir-two lefties, two aces, what more can you ask for? And speaking of lefties, there seems to be near unanimous opinion that Cliff Lee will capture the Cy Young. Personally, I'll push the case for Roy Halladay who ended up just 2 wins shy of Lee and probably should have had 4 or 5 more. There was a run early in the year where Halladay lost 4 consecutive complete games. To me, Doc is a lot more reliable and valuable to a team than Cliff. Lee had a spectacular season, there's no denying that, but Halladay has eaten more innings and can claim a much better SO-BB ratio. Those stats are important too!

There's a guy in baseball named Zack Hample who is one of a kind. He's not a player, but instead a fan. Hample, over the past 17 years has collected 3 814 baseballs. Don't believe me? Check out his website at www.zackhample.com or snaggingbaseballs.mlblogs.com. It is truly amazing what this guy does and truly amazing how much luck he has too. For example, he made headlines in New York City earlier in September by catching homers on back to back nights at Yankee Stadium. Just this past Sunday, Zack snagged the third-last home run ever hit at Shea Stadium, via the bat of Carlos Beltran. Nonetheless, it is still the last Mets homer ever hit at that place.

Lots of good stuff happening in politics. Sarah Palin looked credible last night. She actually knew her stuff and did pretty well, I thought. The second presidential match up will take place this coming Tuesday. The Canadians also took to the roundtable for two leaders debates this week. Frankly, it doesn't do much to persuade my opinion, as I am a hardcore Liberal. Speaking of which, I'll be out canvassing for a couple local MPs this weekend. Lovely!

The weather's getting cold here in TO!

497 days til Vancouver 2010! 1393 days til London 2012!

-D

No comments:

Post a Comment