Monday 19 January 2009

THE INAUGURATION

That should totally be a movie title..."THE INAUGURATION" coming to a theatre near you.

All jokes aside, the inauguration of PEBO (President-Elect Barack Obama) will take place in just 15 hours time and I, as so many others around the world, am thrilled to be alive at this moment in history.

Decades from now, this will be a moment whose significance will rank alongside Lincoln's second inaugural, and JFK's "Ask Not" address.

I have never been so inspired in my life and after what we've seen in the last 8 years, I think many can say the same. This feeling is so amazing that it's indescribable. This is what people must have felt like when the Allies achieved victory in Europe, and when slaves were released by the Emancipation Proclaimation.

I have never seen a nation so inspired and united and happy. I have never seen crowds this size in a celebration of political achievement and national renewal. This is the first time in my life I have been so touched watching people smile, and cheer, and celebrate.

Tomorrow will be a day that shakes the world. Clips of Obama raising his right hand and affirming the 35-word oath that has withstood the toughest of eras will be played over and over and over again in classrooms, and libraries, and palaces around the world. David Letterman will be sure to include it in his "Great Moments in Presidential Speeches".

So on this eve of the most historic inauguration of an American President ever, I wish Barack, Michelle, Malia, and Sasha all the best, as well as Joe and Jill Biden. I am looking forward to the next four years.

Godspeed to the 44th President!

-D

No comments:

Post a Comment