Saturday 31 January 2009

Tennis is a Sweet Sport!

Oh man, where do I start???

Hmm...Rafa Nadal looked for one sec on Friday night he was going to bounce out of the semifinals to his Spanish counterpart Fernando Verdasco. What a match! What a match! Personally, I didn't catch any of it, but from what I've heard, this match was beyond amazing. I didn't think Verdasco could make it close, though he had been hot this tournament. Just think, the length of this match exceeded last year's epic Wimbledon final between Federer and Nadal by 26 minutes, ending at 1 in the morning, after some thrilling 5 hours and 14 minutes.

It was so emotional Nadal let out tears in the final game, and the way he reacted after the win was eerily similar to what he did at Wimbledon a year ago. After this marathon match, I think Nadal's chances of winning have just been greatly reduced. Federer's win over Roddick was a breeze and he had an extra day of rest. But the exact results remain to be seen...

I'm absolutely in love with this rivalry. Federer, of course, is striving to match Sampras' record of 14 career slams, while Nadal is still looking for his first hard court major, not counting last year's Olympics.
Either way, this match will bring the rivalry to new heights, as Federer could make history or Nadal could gain a new name for himself, not just as clay king, but as a versatile and potent player on every type of surface. I don't have the cable channel which will carry the final, so I'll be looking for the results tomorrow morning. Can't wait!

Now, the women's side of the tournament wasn't so exciting this year. Serena Williams continued her streak of winning every other year by beating Dinara Safina 6-0, 6-3. This came a day after Senera and Venus Williams won the women's doubles title. Congrats to Serena, but I'd ask for a refund for my ticket.


Mike and Bob Bryan captured the men's doubles title. It was predictable.


-D

No comments:

Post a Comment