Tuesday 27 July 2010

Five and Counting

Barely a month after Edwin Jackson laboured through 149 pitches to get his no-no gem, Matt Garza of the Tampa Bay Rays threw a no-hitter of his own, Tampa's first in franchise history, after a slew of games in which they were on the wrong end of history.

Garza faced the minimum 27 batters after inducing a DP after walking a batter with one out in the 2nd. This is the 5th (really the 6th) no hitter in the MLB this season. That's really really impressive considering we have two FULL months of baseball still to go. I think we can very well break the single season record of 7 and I'm still sticking by my prediction that one of the Jays pitchers will do it!!

I don't know about you but I'm just loving these no hitters!! Always love to witness the history and always very interesting to see which pitchers accomplish the feat. Garza is a star in his own right without the no-hitter and I think he will have a productive career by the time all is said and done!

Congrats, Matt!!

-D

PS. I was in Washington, DC all of last week for a week long politics program at Georgetown University. I wanted to see the Nationals play but they were unfortunately out of town. It was a brilliant week though. Hot too, 38 degrees!!

No comments:

Post a Comment