Monday 16 August 2010

Rogers Cup

Andy Murray is playing AMAZING right now and he just won the Rogers Cup over the weekend here in Toronto. Oh and he beat Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer along the way!

It was an absolutely amazing experience volunteering at the tournament for the second year. I was part of the Pass Control and Outside Courts Committee, which means I was assigned to restricted areas to check for access passes and I also acted as usher on some of the outside courts on the grounds.

I got to watch a ton of tennis on my breaks and had a whale of a time socializing with other volunteers. I also got lucky on the last two days of my shift and was assigned to work near the players' entrance to Centre Court, checking passes in that hallway. There, I got to see RFed, Andy Murray, and Rafa up close. Those were moments I'll never forget. Just so exciting to see the greatest players walking right in front of you!

I was rooting for Roger Federer to win the tournament but honestly though, he didn't play his best at all. Only his first and second matches were breeze-throughs and even his second match I thought could have been better. Tomas Berdych came THIS close to knocking him out in the QFs while Djokovic also pushed him to three. Still though, he did regain his #2 ranking but by the looks of it, it will take a long time for him to climb up to the top again. He is just TWO weeks away from beating Sampras' old record of 286 weeks at #1.

My pick for the US Open...hmm, that's a tough one. I'd love to see Federer win back the title but I also love Juan Martin Del Potro. Rafa Nadal and Andy Murray are both playing amazing tennis right now so it will be another great fight for the trophy. Berdych will be one to watch as well after his performance in Toronto. I don't think Djokovic, with the way he played, will be too big of a threat but remember he is still world #3.

I gotta go with the greatest though. Pickin' Federer but if it's a Rafa-Fed, Murray-Fed, Djoko-Fed, Berdych-Fed, Del Potro-Fed match-up, don't be surprised if the Swiss Maestro's apparent fall from grace continues.

-D

No comments:

Post a Comment