Sunday 13 September 2009

Profanity Galore

"Foot fault!"

That was the call that set Serena Williams on a rampage last night. I was sitting in front of my TV and there she was, swearing and gesturing at a small, innocent line judge. To be honest, it was shocking to see Serena do that. From seeing her at the Rogers Cup and all the interviews on TV, Serena was always a soft spoken, smiling, and nice lady. But last night, the words that were coming out of her mouth-it was just wow! You know what, I can't judge whether that foot fault was the correct call, but I definitely agree that she should have received that point penalty, which just so happened to be match point.

Williams' conduct was certainly inappropriate, but I still think of her as a sportsman. She has always been and I think she was just caught up in the moment. I know how she feels. Sometimes, there are days when it feels like nothing's going for you, when everything and everybody's against you. It's a frustrating feeling, and it can get a hold of your emotions sometimes. I don't blame her. I get uncharacteristically intense when I'm playing sports. It could have happened to anybody, and it was the appropriate consequence in the end.

It sure was interesting, but you gotta give Kim Clijsters credit. I have no doubt she would have taken the match even without that bizarre ending. She was just that good, making Serena run from one corner to the next, almost making Williams trip over herself sometimes. Though the other finalist, Caroline Wozniacki isn't the most famous player in the world, it should be a nice final. You can't have the exact same people win everything all the time right?

Is anybody watching this Nadal-Del Potro match right now? Boy, the Argentine kid is just DOMINATING Rafa. At the beginning of this tournament, I predicted that Del Potro would make it to the final, but I thought it'd be tougher than this. Del Potro's up 6-2, 6-2 and 5-2. That's just incredible. This kid has been something else this summer, and you know what, it makes next year even more exciting. The age of Federer/Nadal is definitely in the decline, and having all these valiant challengers is very exciting to watch.

-D

Photo credits: http://www.ktla.com/media/photo/2009-09/49234928.jpg (Getty Images/Associated Press)

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01479/del_potro_1479375c.jpg (The Telegraph)

**UPDATE**: Juan Martin Del Potro has just disposed Rafael Nadal 6-2, 6-2, 6-2. Incredible match. Incredible play from Del Potro. I'm starting love this guy. And he's only 20 years old!! Lovin' it! Lovin' it!

No comments:

Post a Comment