Monday 7 September 2009

The United States Open

So I'm watching Melanie Oudin right now face Nadia Petrova...man, this 17 year old is FIERCE!!!

In the first set, Oudin couldn't even hold serve, losing to Petrova 6-1. In the second set, she got into it big time, winning the tiebreak 7-1. Now, they're in the third set, tied 2-2. I really want to see Oudin win this one. I think she can make it to the final if she keeps fighting like this.

Earlier today, Kateryna Bondarenko beat Gisela Dulko in the fourth round 6-0, 6-0. What the heck is going on? Dulko didn't even qualify for the Rogers Cup. Bondarenko had to fight through the qualifying round here in Toronto. And they both make it to the fourth round in the US OPEN?!? I'm thoroughly confused.

I cheered for Kim Clijsters yesterday against Venus Williams. That was one hell of a match too. 6-0, 0-6, 6-4, I don't think I've ever seen that before. But you gotta feel for Williams, being cheered against in your own country.

Federer plays later today. My hometown girl Li Na plays tomorrow against Clijsters. Now, that is one test of loyalty. I really like Clijsters, but again, Li's not just from China, she's from my hometown!!! Who would you cheer for in a situation like that?

I still stick to my prediction of Del Potro making the final against Federer. But what do I know? I said Dementieva would win on the women's side.

To some baseball action, yesterday's Jays-Yankees game was one of the highlights of the 09 season. Halladay's one-hit wonder Friday night was also one of those highlights. Both these games were so exciting and dramatic. The Jays played relatively well against the Yankees, splitting the series against the likely AL East Champs.

And how 'bout the Brewers' triple play yesterday, eh?

This week is a classic example of what makes sports SOOOO awesome to watch!!

-D

No comments:

Post a Comment