Friday 26 March 2010

Baseball Season

Just a fortnight to go before America's Pastime gets underway once again!

Joe Mauer recently signed an 8 year-$184 million extension with the Minnesota Twins. That is yet another example of how moneycentric baseball has become in the last decade or so. While I have every respect for Joe Mauer and I think he is an absolutely amazing player and that if anyone deserves that kind of money, it's him, I just don't like the idea of paying players-who provide an entertainment-with 9 digit cheques. I'm still not sure whether a salary cap would solve the problem, but without one, this incessantly inflation will be impossible to stop.

The Jays chose Shaun Marcum as their Opening Day pitcher this week. I very much like the move. Marcum hasn't pitched in the majors for a long time because of his injury He's still young, got a lot of potential. It's great he can get to show everyone what he's got.

Can't wait to head out to the ballpark this season-I kind of want to see Roy Halladay's return to TO in June.

-D

No comments:

Post a Comment