Friday 28 November 2008

Journalism is Risky Business

Yes it is!

Learned that first hand today.

I wrote an editorial in my school's newspaper concerning our intramural dodgeball tournament, which was extremely disorganized. I did not name names, but made one mention to our Athletic Council, which I was a part of. Though I felt some guilt in make a criticism of the tournament, I felt it was necessary to voice what many of the students and teachers thought about it. Besides, it was my honest opinion that the tournament was a disaster.

Well, the paper came out today and let's just say some people weren't too happy with the article. First off, our head of Physical Education Department yelled at me at 8:30 in the morning. Then, he kicked me off the Athletic Council.

The news of this controversy spread fast, even I was surprised about how many people knew the story by lunch time. The paper was getting immense readership by this time.

Even teachers were kept in the loop, and I talked to many people, most of whom supported the article. I have to admit, the things I wrote were not too harsh. I understand why certain people are upset, but I think they wre massively over reacting.

The best thing to do, I think, is just to talk to some of the editors in the paper and teachers too. And if things calm down enough, I will approach the head of the Phys Ed department once again to discuss this issue.

One thing I found somewhat ironic was the fact that the paper was proofread by a staff advisor and the principal. Neither of them had any problems with it yet the Phys Ed department is going beserk over the opinion of one student.

Somebody said to me two weeks ago: "Journalism is a risky business...".

Yes it is.

-D

No comments:

Post a Comment